Saturday, October 24, 2009

A profound deflation that is difficult to see

My big HiDef TV, finally, after 16 years, has died. I threw out the fax machine since I have not received or sent a fax in years. I gave away the stereo. I don't really need the telephone-answering machine because I make almost all calls through the computer, so when it dies, I will not buy a new one.

They will all be replaced by a 27-inch iMac and a digital TV decoder ($200); I already have a printer ($200) and scanner ($60).

$3,000 TV
$700 fax machine
$500 stereo
$100 telephone-answering machine
All unnecessary, a savings of more than $4,000.

All of these were energy vampires, silently using small amounts of energy even when not obviously on... if a device is warm to the touch or is instant-on, then it is using a little electricity whenever it is plugged in.

And it frees up a lot of space in the apartment to boot!

The implication of having a "universal machine" is that it makes a lot of other devices unnecessary... the abilities are similar or superior, but the cost of those other devices falls to zero.

No comments: