Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Who needs cable

It's going to happen, the only question is when. The cable TV industry's monopolistic, anti-consumer practice of offering bloated, overpriced programming packages is coming mercifully to an end, brought down by a slew of more affordable options made possible by broadband Internet.

Years ago, I tried to get cable, but the landlord wouldn't allow it. Now, in a panic, they have installed it in the building because it is pretty standard these days. Too bad I hardly ever watch TV now... maybe an hour or two per month... because the Net is just so much more interesting and is on demand.

I really hate Time-Warner cable Road Runner internet service though, because they put up all kinds of bizarre hurdles. With Yahoo Broadband Japan, I just plugged in and that was it. With Time-Warner, I had to spend 6 hours trying to figure out what was wrong, then 2 hours on the phone (one hour on hold) and set a dozen fields with long nonsense strings just to access my email, and things still, to this day, that are perfectly normal in the rest of the world, are blocked by Time Warner. Personally, I think the IT people make it difficult because they think they will have jobs, but what they did in my case is waste my time, so as soon as I can ditch them, I will. More incompetent than Microsoft, and that is saying a lot.

No comments: